AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Squash harvest 2021
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

moon1234
Posted 10/13/2021 09:15 (#9266439 - in reply to #9266100)
Subject: RE: Squash harvest 2021

De Forest, WI
MaineFarmer - 10/13/2021 05:20

Moon 1234,I am curious of washing then restoring for future pack outs.How do you deal with rots etc on the pack outs of cleaned squash?Do you think pre washing helps on storability?Friend paid for two trailer loads Macro bins,,for september deivery,,plastic shotage,,did get in time and not yet also.

It depends if you have a nice heated place to wash squash when it’s freezing outside. We don’t, so we wash everything before it gets too cold. We haven’t had any serious rot issues by washing and packing back into the bins. We try to make sure the squash is mostly dry and the bins have time to sit outside for a couple days to get fully dry.

Spaghetti squash is our only problem child. If one goes south they tend to liquify and that makes a big mess. We usually try to hold it for less than 8 weeks. The rest of the squash is easier to deal with as it usually doesn’t do that. We can just toss soft ones and the rest is fine.

I would for sure switch to washing on an as needed basis if I could later in the fall. Don’t have the money for an insulated pack shed yet. I have a lot of kids (12) with one moved out and working as a custom applicator for a local co-op. So most of the farm money goes to keep everyone fed, etc.

I’m not sure what a decent sized shed, insulated would cost. I would want much larger coolers for 45-50F and 33-44F. Enough to fit 10-15 pallet bins in each for the other veggie crops and an insulated room for 100-150 bins of squash/pumpkins. Any idea on cost?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)