AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean/millet hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 10/12/2021 12:20 (#9265067)
Subject: Soybean/millet hay

Well planted a ton if sorghum Sudan this year and hit the rains so I made a ton of hay from that.
Thinking with fertilizer prices going up, and having a few years worth of 9 percent protein hay i was thinking about planting soybeans for hay.
I end up moving all my hay 5 miles so I thought if I can get 1 to 2 bale an acre on soybean hay thats alot less work, possible double crop? I am in south Texas.

Ido not have a hay grinder so I was thinking I could unroll 1 bale per 50 cows then put out 2 or 3 bales of hay (cow calf)

Also been thinking about mixing in some millet, have seen were people plant half the drill millet and half the drill soybean.

Is it best to do half the drill each and cut perpendicular to how you planted so it all gets mixed together? I have also seen people mix it all up then plant.

What ratio do you plant? What are the best varieties to plant? What about bin run beans? I figure germination would be lower in bin run especially since its pretty warm down here and I hear that beans do not store well as far as germination goes.

Thinking mixing millet might be good , figure one of them will probably produce somthing.
I do have the ability to store seed in my pecan cold storage if that is worth it.

Just looking for any input I can gather. With millet and soybeans mixed is soybean leaf shudder less? I plan on baling at night with high humidity and a dew setting in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)