AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Analyze adds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billw
Posted 10/12/2021 13:54 (#9265212 - in reply to #9264856)
Subject: RE: Analyze adds

East Central Kansas
WYDave - 10/12/2021 09:48

You're seeing one of the effects of innumeracy on our society.

This is the ultimate result of an educational "profession" that says nonsense such as "I don't need math, I've read Yeats!"

Considering all the tax $$ spent on public K-12 education, on such things as new buildings that were said to be essential immediately to provide better learning environments, new technologies and techniques that just absolutely have to be used in teaching today, new curriculums, hiring additional specialized educators that focus on a certain subject, all kinds of other additional personnel hired such as more principals and assistant principals, assistant superintendents, etc.....it seems like a poor success rate with math skills to me. All too many who have "successfully" completed their K-12 education are very lacking in basic math skills and the ability to apply those skills to common, every day applications. I have known many older folks who only went through 8th grade in a 1-room country school that could easily handle every day math applications.

During all this time, it has been no secret that math skills in other countries, such as Japan, China, India, etc. are better than here and are not being considered as unnecessary. They realize the importance of math and its usage in everything.

It's not like the fundamentals and rules of math change. There was nothing about any of it that ever was or is somehow political. Denying the fact that math just doesn't matter and doesn't apply to anything anymore, is as silly as saying that gravity and time will no longer apply to anything either if you simply don't want them to and just dismiss them as irrelevant or political.

I would think there would be a good selection of math teaching online (maybe youtube) that would address anything a school should be teaching, and could be utilized for kids who want to learn math but are struggling or have a poor math program at their school.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)