AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Analyze adds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JimS
Posted 10/12/2021 09:56 (#9264866 - in reply to #9264677)
Subject: News too

There is a lot of this in the news too. So many articles refer to the insane amount of water needed to produce one pound of beef. Funny thing is, I don't remember pumping the hundreds of thousands of gallons I would have had to pump to give my small herd a drink.

Also, there was a letter writer to the paper who was going on about all the grain fed to cattle and how much better it would be were it fed to people and if all that land used for cattle were used to grow crops.

Crunching his numbers using the Ag Dept number of cattle on feed, I quickly realized there was not that much corn produced in all the US. He also failed to realize that much of what is fed to cattle he would not find very palatable and I would love to know what he thinks we can grow in the mountains where we run cattle or in the area around Winnemucca and similar where others run theirs (We are 20 acres or more per cow calf in some areas but I know some who run cattle at the rate of 1 cow calf per 50-75 acres. I don't think we could grow much kale in those areas). Interestingly, the paper would not print my response.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)