AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere UAW
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OneEyedCat
Posted 10/12/2021 06:38 (#9264581 - in reply to #9264262)
Subject: RE: John Deere UAW

twraska - 10/11/2021 21:25

I wonder what % of manufacturing (as opposed to assembly) is currently overseas. Seems like 80-90% of the parts you pick up are from a foreign country.

A close friend owned a machine shop where he commonly used to rebuild all different sorts of factory machines for numerous factories. Some had to be delivered to his shop by special trucks. Those were large, high speed machines that cranked out high volumes of production. One by one those factories either shut down on their own or were bought out by foreign investors and then closed. A French group later bought out one of those factories that had often been a steady customer of my friend’s shop. They went belly up and soon the gigantic operation was for sale.

I remember the year my friend’s business changed for good. It was a somber realization that was hard to accept. The phone number for his machine shop that for years received lots of requests for machine work was no longer in service. His biggest customer had been unexpectedly bought out by a foreign competitor and suddenly all work came to a quick stop. Other factories that had been customers had been closed and torn down as production moved overseas. Never even in my dreams would I have seen those same big factory buildings disappear. But that’s exactly what happened, they are no more. So many jobs lost.

Edited by OneEyedCat 10/12/2021 06:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)