AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do “farming partners” own higher dollar, depreciating equipment together?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Steigermorepower
Posted 10/12/2021 06:28 (#9264563 - in reply to #9264546)
Subject: RE: How do “farming partners” own higher dollar, depreciating equipment together?

GrainTrader - 10/12/2021 06:11

redoak - 10/12/2021 05:41

IDK , do kids really pay Fathers for use of machinery**********

So many different financial situations that no one answer will work for all....Some parents want there kids to 'suffer' like they did and others want to help next generation.....And some kids are good and some not so much

It’s not a “make them suffer thing”. My father is in his mid 50’s. I’m in my mid 30’s. He’s not a wealthy many looking to retire soon. Plus he’s still interested in buying land if it comes available nearby. The way we have valued things if he let me use his combine for free on 1200 acres that’d be $24,000. Plus I use his semi on about half, that’d be another roughly $10,000 worth of use. (Which I’m planning to buy my own). I have 2 siblings. Of those who are saying they would or do let their kids use their machinery for free on larger amounts of acreage, are they writing their other kids checks for the same value to be fair?

I guess this thread has also brought to light why I’m usually $50-75 out of the market on rental land when it comes available. Parents subsidizing their kids operations with free machinery and free labor it sounds like. I’m all for helping out, but what are you teaching the younger generation about value and cost of things if that’s the case? When I was farming 32 acres I traded everything with dad for labor. I a neighbor renter their 150 acres to me and then I started paying for combine at that point. After those acres I added some more and started buying some equipment myself...

I sure hope no one reads this and thinks my father is heartless or anything of the such. It’s far from the case. He’s a true cheerleader of mine and a huge asset.

Kid I’m the poorest of this group probably.
I know how the schools are teaching economics.
You should be looking into the future.

If someone gave you 2 million would you care about this situation?
If you got sued and had a heart attack would you care about the situation?

You should be looking to keep the top side open for you to have opportunity.

Money feeds you there is no such thing as stable ground but your hoping for the best.

Learn and obtain the skills you need to be better than most. That will put you in a minority that’s sought after. Rest will fall into place.
Most will give up when the numbers no longer work.

Like I said poorest here and seriously no BS waiting to see if someone needs to go hospital.
I didn’t think I would be taking someone to the hospital yesterday.
But today I might.

Your path to what you want.
Poor side
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)