AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do “farming partners” own higher dollar, depreciating equipment together?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

coup
Posted 10/12/2021 06:21 (#9264557 - in reply to #9264527)
Subject: RE: How do “farming partners” own higher dollar, depreciating equipment together?

USA
GrainTrader - 10/12/2021 04:55

Golden83 - 10/12/2021 05:25

Separate equipment is easiest in the long run. Would be a big help to be able to run 2 combines in the fall.

Running 2 combines takes another body and then potentially more support body’s. That’s what I’m trying to avoid more then ownership of a combine myself. Some days till 4 or 5 on the afternoon it’s just 2 or 3 of us. After other help gets off work and comes help we let mom go home and we get 1 and sometimes 2 guys to help.

In corn the second combine would be useless. We already have a hard enough time keeping corn away from one machine depending on the farm we are at and the help we do or don’t have that day. We move around a lot depending on help, but always keep going. We aren’t spread out terribly far, and adding the acres we won’t be too far either accept for about 10-15% of the total acres. The majority is just a few miles from our 3 farmsteads with bins/barns.

I would rather have 2 combines in your situation than one. We run 2 with 2-3 people. Some days second combine does nothing in corn, other days will get 15-20 acres with it. Way things are becoming second combine is cheap insurance, if combine breaks down, don't have to stop harvest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)