AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any wood workers here? I have a novice staining question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

gosteelers
Posted 10/10/2021 08:09 (#9261395 - in reply to #9260735)
Subject: RE: Any wood workers here? I have a novice staining question

Thud-I'm on a similar journey as you, just a little bit ahead of you. Others on here know way more than me but this is what I've figured out so far. Proper stacking, stickering & drying the boards will help with the cupping & warping. You might have done it right & it still happened, but don't think of those boards as waste. A 6 inch cupped board can usually be cut down for uses like 2 inch trim work or something. (I'm a cheapskate & find uses for all of it even when it was free). I would rather cut up a piece of scrap for things like trim than cut up a big, perfect board that could be used for something else. I have made two beds so far. One was very similar to yours & one was an epoxy pour. I like teak oil for a finish but on the epoxy pour bed I discovered this stuff called "Osmo". It's very expensive but looks similar to teak oil. When done, it has a durable finish because it's original use was for hardwood flooring. I have also had issues filling cracks with epoxy & having it leak out. I was doing same as you with the tape. So here's how I do it now. Take a piece of cardboard & cover it with packing tape to make it waterproof & so epoxy wont stick to it when dry. Now on the back side of the board, apply a bead of caulk around the crack where you think epoxy will leak out & then smash the cardboard onto the bead of caulk & let dry. Flip over, pour your epoxy & pray it doesnt find another way out. Hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)