AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any wood workers here? I have a novice staining question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Thud
Posted 10/9/2021 10:31 (#9260238 - in reply to #9259810)
Subject: RE: Any wood workers here? I have a novice staining question

Near-north Ontario, French River
The wood was essentially free :-) Neighbour was taking out a fence line that had 10-12 black walnuts trees in it. He was just going to pile and burn them so we went down and salvaged what logs we could after the excavator had taken them down. My brother has a portable mill so we spend a few days sawing up the logs,,, I'd estimate when ended up with +-4000 board feet of lumber , varying with and lengths. We made one mistake ( rookies to the portable mill game as well), in that we rough sawed to a shade over 1" thick, we should have gone to 5/4 or even 6/4 thickness, as many of the boards cupped or twisted. I'm getting a lot of 3/4 lumber but the planks that warped the worst are only give me 1/2... ie lots of waste .
Back to the original topic though.. I have considered lacquers or polyurethanes but with my limited experience I'm afraid of screwing up the finish. I've done some small trial projects, ie making boxes to learn how to make joints, etc..and really like the simplicity of walnut oil, literally just apply it, wait for it to soak in and wipe off the excess. Love.. the looks , just not entirely sure of the durability of the finish.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)