AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Owning a Toolbar NH3 price
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

schmid
Posted 10/9/2021 07:26 (#9259998 - in reply to #9259944)
Subject: RE: Owning a Toolbar NH3 price

ECIL
coup - 10/9/2021 06:44

schmid - 10/8/2021 16:43

coup - 10/8/2021 12:42

schmid - 10/8/2021 08:39

coup - 10/7/2021 20:14

schmid - 10/7/2021 12:11

coup - 10/5/2021 21:43

neukm - 10/5/2021 19:49

tmrand - 10/5/2021 18:28

$25/ton doesn't keep a bar maintained??

You guys must have high standards.

No, it doesn't. I've owned two different nh3 bars, including currently a 5310. For the amount of anhydrous I use, the $25 is quite a ways under water. Hoses, knives, tires, valves and keeping the flow control system working correctly when running N serve doesn't really come close. Not to even mention the opportunity cost of the initial investment.

Maybe if I would start out with something in better/newer condition it would help, or if it wasn't getting used in heavy silty clay instead of sand like you most likely have, that would make up the snarky difference.

$25 ton would buy a good used toolbar and cover up keep costs as well.

You're smarter than that. It's almost completely dependent on how much you run through it in a year.

Bought CIH 50 ft 5300 NH3 applicator three years ago in Sep for $9000. If sold it today cost per ton to own and upkeep it would be less than zero $ per ton. Cost per ton has nothing to do with amount of tons run through it per year.

What does you buying a piece of equipment in deflated market and reselling in an inflated market have anything to do with applying ammonia? Instead of farming you should be an equipment dealer, sounds like that's easy money.

Has a lot to do with what it costs after using it for several seasons and it brings more than it costs.

This is laughable. So now you're switching over to say that you need to buy and sell equipment at the right time to make the ammonia application equipment pay for itself? Funny stuff.

The $25/acre toolbar credit doesn't pay for the toolbar maintenance unless you're running a lot of tons through it. The 80 tons or so of ammonia I run through a toolbar does not pay. Try to buy a section valve when one starts leaking? How about the hoses and fittings into the cooler? Tires? Knives? Ever had the eye bolt on the lift mechanism break on a 5300? Or abroken shank or a two a year? The reason farmer owned toolbars are even around is because we get tired of dealing with the fertilizer dealers equipment and dealing with them and other farmers on timing.

Didn't say that need to buy and sell equipment to make things work. Just made the comment that if sold what I have, what the outcome would be. $25 ton would more than cover for what I paid the applicator and repairs since have owned it.

Have on farm NH3 stage. Cost for upkeep of tank, wagons, and applicator combines will still be less than $25 ton

And, once again, we come back to my original point that the more tons you run through, the more likely it is to pay. The guy running 40 tons through his toolbar can't make the toolbar a money making proposition, much less a storage setup. The reason he has a toolbar is for convenience sake and owning something where he is in charge of the maintenance. And I think it's great if a guy does that. I share a toolbar with my uncle, it's the way to go, IMO, but without a certain amount of tons run through, it does not pay the maintenance.

Now the guy running 200+ tons a year through one, he should be making some money, but he's not getting rich by any means.

Economics of scale, you know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)