AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Facebook or no Facebook?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WYDave
Posted 10/3/2021 21:22 (#9251415 - in reply to #9251046)
Subject: RE: Facebook or no Facebook?

Wyoming

I had a FB account from 2009 to the fall of 2010.

One Saturday afternoon, as I was working on a rifle stock in Trinidad, CO, (I was at gunsmithing school at the time), I started wondering: "How does FB make money if they charge nothing for the accounts?"

And I thought "OK, so they're charging money to allow advertisers to run ads" but their valuation and growth wasn't supported by mere ads. So I thought a bit further: "The only way they could charge enough money for their ads to support their valuation was to be selling highly targeted ads - ie, that they had spied on their user base to an extent that they could deliver those ads to a group of people much more likely to view those ads and convert those ads to sales..."

And then something an old man told me once when I was about 19 popped into my head: "Son, if you're ever at a poker game, and you can't tell who the mark is... then you're the mark."

This morphed in my head to "If you're wondering what the product of a social media company is, then you're the product."

The next day, I started deleting everything I had ever posted on FB - every comment, every like, every pic - I deleted, then I deleted the account.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)