AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buyer beware or ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IHC 1470
Posted 10/3/2021 00:51 (#9249827 - in reply to #9248148)
Subject: RE: Buyer beware or ?

Idaho

Been on both sides of this sort of issue. Sold a Dodge Caravan once and about a month latter the buyer called and asked if I knew the head gaskets were leaking. I did not and was actually somewhat surprised as it was a rebuilt engine from a local machine shop which had a good reputation. I told the buyer I would pay for the parts if he picked up the labor. He later reported back that it appeared that the head bolts had been reused instead of being replaced. Yes I was out a little money but felt like it was the proper thing to do.

Bought a ST280 Steiger and after the deal was made the seller said Oh by the way you will find out the steering is a little poor. It was once worked for awhile. Would have been nice to have known that before the deal was made yet not complaining as the seller did come down in price when I pointed out it looked like the front wheel seals were leaking. That issue turned out to be a plugged vent on the differential case. Steering ended up being a weak pump and bad pressure relief valve. So the price discount for leaking seals went into the hydraulic system and the bottom line was still about where I wanted it to be. The rest of the tractor appeared to be as seller had represented it and was backed up by the local dealer who had worked on it several times over the years.

As others have said things fail. I know you would feel better if you had gotten 50 to 100 hours on the machine before something happened but if the seller did not offer to pickup anything but the water pump than I personally would just leave it at that and move on. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)