AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed dealership shed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 9/14/2021 12:05 (#9219868 - in reply to #9219783)
Subject: RE: Seed dealership shed

Amherst WI
bakerna4 - 9/14/2021 10:06

I built a seed shed in 2014. A few things to consider

- I like having each bean variety in its own row or 2 so they aren't buried when I need them. That takes a fair amount of wall space.

- Make it tall enough to stack boxes 3 high. I have 18' side walls but my building is a "K Building" steel frame, wood purlins, and there is tons on head space in the center.

- Think about plans for a seed treater. Traffic flow, placement of conveyors, bulk bins outside maybe.

- Office space. I didn't put in an office as we have a nice one at our farm across the field from where I built but I still have a table setup with product guides and miscellaneous stuff.

- Field Sign storage. I built a rack and set it in a corner but again it takes up space.

- Truck dock. This one I thought of and designed the building with a door for a truck dock but failed to realize how much driveway space I would lose, and haven't put it in because of that.

Congrats on the growing business and good luck with the building.

I used the back end of my small shop this year, we wanted to make sure we could get the ball rolling before we dove in. Just about any time I needed something it was on the bottom of a pallet, on the bottom pallet in a row. What a pain in the butt! So I can see why you have each variety separate and was thinking the same thing, or at least trying to do that.

I was thinking the office space could have a mezzanine above it to store signs and posts, its dead space any way.

Truck docks add a fair amount of expense but I also realize as the trucker pool gets shallower the days of the owner operator truck driver running the pallet jack to the back of the truck might get limited. So I am strongly considering having a dock to eliminate this issue.

I thought about an eclosed lean to on one side too, to store seed tenders in the off season. This keeps them out of the main seed storage area and out of the way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)