AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

World Ag Supply/Demand Estimates - Graphs/Spreadsheets with Historical Data from K-State
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 9/12/2021 09:35 (#9215871 - in reply to #9214952)
Subject: 1993,1995

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
In 1993 I was selling Pioneer.

P3563 and 3417 were very susceptible to rust. Walking through 36” row corn the leaves were barely brushing my shoulders as were dead due to rust. Yields were 60-90. Nobody talked fungicides on corn. Should have.

Pioneer used a narrative of lost N (true in some areas) but “here” P3394 better handled the rust and was 140ish. Golden Harvest 2390 was doing 150 ish. That hybrid put GH on many farms.

Some areas used zero 92 and destroyed the crop with shredders.

1995 was hot with high ECB pressure. It was the summer I finished my Masters degree at Iowa State. After completing my oral exam on campus I remember how hot it was walking back to my car and listening to reports of dead cattle in SW Iowa and people in Chicago.

A friend who knew how to scout and treat ECB figured a 25 bu/ac increase from treating. ECB Bt corn showed up a year or two later and it became obvious how much damage ECB caused.

Also in 1995 there was brittle snap in some areas.

We still see ups and downs in crop prospects with weather and storms. But GMO and more intense crop management has allowed us to push for topside a lot in the last 20 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)