AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

10 days later, no blue dot on Ag Infiniti
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 9/12/2021 11:06 (#9216018 - in reply to #9214133)
Subject: RE: 10 days later, no blue dot on Ag Infiniti

East Central, Nebraska
i think what we are seeing is a cellular/wifi location and not a true gps location. when we were putting up silage the other day, when i really could use it, i was experimenting myself and the location was off miles. anytime i am around my farm yard it will put a dot right on my house and everytime i leave my house it will put the dot somewhere else. it seems to me to be getting location from somewhere other than gps. keep in mind if it were using location from the device you would see the arrow up by where it shows cellular strength and time. its not doing that which makes me think it is not even trying to get location from that device.

i have seen something similar years ago when i worked for digifarm. their app should not have worked on a wifi only ipad because their service required new location data at all times. for whatever reason it would work and we did some digging to figure out why. in that situation one farm operation had the wifi only ipad in the cab using it for digifarm and fieldview data. when it comes to ipads the wifi only (non cellular) ipads do not have gps, or didnt back a few years ago when i was dealing with this situation. we found on one particular farm that they were feeding data to the ipad from a apple cell phone and that device was feeding the ipad location also. we also saw this with a couple different modems. i cannot confirm that the modem was giving the ipad the correct location but it was giving location which made the app happy and it appeared to work correctly. i believe that is what we are all seeing now, it is not using actual location but maybe some kind of idea of location through you data connection. just a theory but i have seen this before. also it would appear to me when our screen is blued out it is because it cannot narrow down a location within that blue area. when i am at home it will show me a small blue dot as it is certain that i am in my house though that is not entirely true. when i leave my house and drive miles away it will show my location miles from where i am at and a huge blue dot, which tells me in reality it has no idea where i am at.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)