AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

C-peptide and insulin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

moon1234
Posted 9/12/2021 19:53 (#9216960 - in reply to #9170744)
Subject: RE: C-peptide and insulin

De Forest, WI
John Burns - 8/18/2021 10:42

Good information for diabetics or pre-diabetics. Dr Benjamin Bikman, researcher that specializes in insulin research. Discusses what a c-peptide blood test will and will not tell us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ7xtnQvaL0

Don’t need YouTube. Most good endocrinologists will order a fasting insulin, fasting glucose and c-peptide if they suspect Type 1 diabetes. Insulin and c-peptide are normally both produced in similar ratios in the pancreas. If you are Type 1 then your immune system is attacking the beta cells in your pancreas that produce insulin. The immune system does not normally attack the cells that make c-peptide. If the insulin and c-peptide are out of whack that is a clue to possible type 1 diagnosis.

That is usually followed up with some antibody testing to look for specific antibodies that are normally present if you have type 1. Islet cell antibodies, GAD, etc.

This is not new science. It has been known about for more than three decades. Depending how old your doc is he/she may or may not know. Sometimes being your own advocate can really help when you go to the doc.

I had an A1c of 12.4 when I went to my physical this year. That’s way high into the need help ASAP range. I didn’t know anything was wrong. My wife said I piss way too much and was losing weight, but not trying hard enough. So I went to the physical.

I did a complete 180 on my diet. All sugared anything was discontinued. I went on a ketogenic diet or very low carb. Shoot for less than 50 carbs per day. In less than one month my fasting blood sugars went from 200mg/dL to 95-105. Doc was shocked. Said most people can’t do that. Ran all the tests above as he had strong hunch I was Type1. Everything came back fine so I am Type 2.

I monitor blood sugar three times a day before meals. I eat lots of fats and protein. Example: breakfast is two eggs fried in butter, slice of full fat Monterey Jack cheese, two strips of bacon or two strips of sausage, one slice of whole wheat bread, half cup of mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) and either a glass of water, cup of tea or sugar free soda (zevia or bubbler). Net carbs is about 14g.

Lunch will be triple cheese burger with works, no bun with side of steamed broccoli (net carbs about 7g). Some days I will have a grilled chicken Caesar salad With cashews, extra cheese (no crutons or salad dressing) and a side of steamed veggies). Net carbs about 6g.

Dinner will be one ear of sweet corn, grilled or raw mixed veggies, ring bologna, water, etc. net carbs about 25-30g.

If we go out to dinner I will go to a supper club where I can load up on the salad bar (cheese, Italian dressing, bacon, etc) along with grilled fish or a nice steak. Net carbs is usually below 20g.

Key thing is avoiding rice, potato, breaded or fried anything. If you really want a potato then try to split it with someone else and get it loaded (cheese, sour cream, bacon, chives, etc.). It will be a lot more satisfying and you won’t eat as many carbs.

Snacks are nuts or protein bars made with nuts, dates, high Caco chocolate, etc. Half a banana is ok. Things like oranges, apples, grapes, etc should be half a fruit per meal or snack. They are higher glycemic (more natural sugar) but have lots of good vitamins and fiber.

If you can keep your body burning fats instead of sugars (hence the “keto” for ketones) you will feel fuller longer, won’t get so many Hungar pangs and will be able to control your portions a lot easier. Try to get half your fats from the better sources. Like olive oil, nuts, avocados, fatty fish. The rest can be the “bad” fats like butter, animal meat, etc.

Goal should be to keep yourself in mild ketosis all the time. Don’t cut out all carbs, but keep them low enough that your body is in fat burning mode all the time. Blood sugar for most type 2 people will fall to normal or near normal and stay there. Reverse your diabetes by not overworking your pancreas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)