AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harvesting oats pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 8/4/2021 02:53 (#9145429 - in reply to #9144902)
Subject: RE: Harvesting oats pics

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

I presume it is the Amish with the horse drawn "binder" -  or reaper & binder.!

As a younger [much] Aussy I have worked one of the machines the horses are taking down the road. [I'm 76!] Though by the time I worked on one it was tractor drawn, but still ground driven. There were a few around our area that progressed to P.T.O. driven machines , on rubber tyres even!

We called the bundles "Sheaves", and what you call shocks we called 'stooks'.

As a young man, and for quite a few years as we raised our family, we ran a 'house cow' plus several others, and the hay cut from the outside of a paddock of wheat before the grain filled, was carted home and built into a stack, which ran water, and fed the cattle during the periods when not much natural feed was growing.

The fresh cut sheaves were quite heavy, but two weeks later when a beautiful golden colour, they were handled with a pitchfork, onto a waggon frame to be transported to the home yard, where the stack was built.

Occasionally oats were grown, cut , stacked and sold then to the racing horse industry. They were always itchy! Probably only 5 or 6 acres for that purpose.

Memories!!

"Progress" in the hay handling was first to the small square bales, man handled, then recently into the 8 x 4 x 3 'big squares' loaded and handled by tele-handlers, or F.E.Loaders, weighing about 600 kg each.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)