AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow with Torn Bag
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DieselDennis
Posted 8/2/2021 21:08 (#9143457)
Subject: Cow with Torn Bag

Brandon, MS
Have a cow that somehow tore her bag on something. I'm not sure what freak of nature accident caused this to happen, but she's missing the rear left teat and had a piece of flesh the size of my hand hanging from the tear. I cut off the dangling flesh, covered the wound with fly & tick spray, and gave her a dose of LA-300.

I'm still puzzled as to how it happened. Something stout must have hung it good and the cow just kept going. Had to have hurt. There's no junk in the field she was in. There is a creek that runs through, a pond, and grass. I can't see an animal coming in and taking a bite out of her udder with no other damage. Besides, it looks like a tear, not a bite.

Cow is a 5 y/o Angus I've had for a few years. Had a calf this past spring. Still gets around good the past 48 hours.

Will a sale barn take a slaughter cow with an open wound like this (assuming she's still alive after the slaughter delay of the LA-300)? I bet I could stick four fingers in the hole in her bag. I just don't see how the wound can stay clean. Seems that it's only a matter of time before it gets infected.

Anybody else had this happen? Is she a dead cow walking? I figure hamburger is her only future if she makes it off this place.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)