AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric power for spray pumps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

bcochran79
Posted 7/28/2021 07:22 (#9133618)
Subject: Electric power for spray pumps

South Georgia
We seem to have a never ending struggle with hydraulic spray pumps. Between seals failing, oil getting too warm, not enough remotes, ect. We haven’t switched back to PTO because we like the engine RPM independence that hydraulic drive gives us.

I am always thinking. As of lately I am thinking that a PTO driven alternator could supply DC (12 – 120V, whatever is cheapest to build). This should be easy to mount/dismount from the tractor. The alternator would be connected to a control box on the sprayer that would invert the DC into 3 phase 208/120 VAC which could then drive a simple three phase induction motor on a Hypro style spray pump. This would give you PTO speed independence and the benefit of low maintenance electric machinery (alternator, induction motor). I’m sure the inverter could also give you speed control on your pump motor. Possibly this could be automated by a rate controller the same way self-propelled sprayers do with the hydraulic-drive speed control on their spray pump. I’m an electric guy, but I don’t deal with alternators, inverters, and small three phase motors much at all. Anybody have any thoughts? Is this already a thing?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)