AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Semi sucks on the hills!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 7/24/2021 14:13 (#9127054 - in reply to #9126946)
Subject: RE: Semi sucks on the hills!

Southern Pa.
Steigermorepower - 7/24/2021 13:55

Buz Brandes - 7/24/2021 12:45

Tim,
My 08 Freightliner with 14L detroit, 515 hp, feels the same. Lacks power on hills. But then I noticed the truck was programmed to have more power when set on Cruise than when using pedal. I've been told I can have this reprogrammed to where the pedal is same as cruise.

Using the pedal my long hill pull was 20-25 mph in 7th gear, now I grab 8th gear as quick as I can then set the cruise.... I can pull the same hill 35-40 mph.

Just a thought.

That’s interesting having issues with 515hp must be high geared.

These newer emissions trucks just don't run like the old school engines. 565 hp is about as high as the factory settings went with those 14L Detroit's. I'll guarantee you I could pass a 565 hp 14L Detroit all day long with an older good running 425 hp Cat.

Why do they paint Detroit engines green????

(So they can hide in the grass while the Cat's roll by)

LOL.

To the OP. You may have an issue with your 400 hp Mercedes engine. A dyno would confirm hp. But I know how gutless these newer trucks "feel" I haul bottled milk 4 nights a week. I was running an '08 Mack for this outfit. 455 hp, 10 speed, 3:70 rears, tall 22.5 rubber. I didn't think it ran too bad, definitely did better than some of the Freight shakers they had with DD13 455 hp engines. (Detroit 13L) I could pass them all day long with the Mack on hills, and the Freight shakers ran 100 rpms higher in high gear at 65 mph than the Mack. That should have helped the DD13 do better, but nope, the Mack would beat it every time. Both had 10 speed manual transmissions.
What I'm trying to say is newer Detroit's are a gutless wonder in my experience.

The Mack started having some engine issues (MP8) around 830k miles. They gave me a Volvo with 395 hp, Autoshift, to use while they started looking for a replacement. What a total piece of gutless garbage!! I have driven truck for these folks quite a while, and they wanted to buy me a new Volvo or Freight shaker with (of course) an Autoshift. I said "thanks, but NO THANKS"!!) "Get me a Pete glider with an older Cat, and a 13 speed manual" is what I told them I wanted. So they kept watching, and found me a '16 389 EXHD Pete glider with a 2WS 3406E. 550hp/1850Tq, 18 speed, 3:70 rears. 249K miles, Southern locally run truck, spotless frame, etc.

That truck will pull the same hills, with the same loads considerably better than the MP8 Mack, and waaaaaay better than those worthless Autoshift Volvos.

Get yourself a big block older Cat, 13/18 speed, preferably in a 379 Pete, and enjoy hauling grain!!!

Life is too short to make yourself miserable driving garbage trucks.

Just my two cents.

(Edited to add)

This truck would go over your hills with relative ease. Try one sometime, you'll like it!!!

Edited by JD 9400 7/24/2021 14:21

(IMG-20210703-WA0003 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG-20210703-WA0003 (full).jpg (74KB - 16 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)