AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 8130 and % wheel slip
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/24/2021 06:49 (#9126360 - in reply to #9126188)
Subject: RE: JD 8130 and % wheel slip

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
On some Deere models that have Deere GPS but no radar, it is as easy as removing the screw in the wedge holding the side instrument panel and folding the displays inward. Within the cavity you may find a dangling wire that says GPS on it. Another wire which is already plugged in may say radar on it. If so, remove the wire that says radar and plug in the wire that is tagged GPS. This is the situation with my nephews 7830 although he doesn't have Deere GPS. At that point you may have true ground speed and PerCent Slip. It may require a slight adjustment within the tractor system to get the indicated speed correct.

I assume the Kevin you refer to is my neighbor and former Coworker before I retired. He has done this will all 3 of my Deere 8xxx tractors. However, my tractors are using Ag Leader GPS 6500's which have a speed out branch on them. Many GPS systems but NOT all have such a branch. Some of my older GPS systems could not do this.

With my tractors, it amounted to 1) making a cable that goes from the radar speed out branch on the Ag Leader harness to the location where a real radar gun would have been plugged in (there are other locations but the idea is the same). 2) A special code needs to be typed into the Ag Leader display which is passed to the GPS to tell it how you want the speed signal to be sent out on the branch. Typing in this code is a one time deal but may have to be repeated if the GPS is updated. After the code has been entered, the tractor dash can show transmission speed, radar speed and PerCent slip.

Any other devices such as standalone planter monitors, spray monitors etc. can be plugged into the tractor as if the tractor had a real radar gun.

One of my tractors had a GPS system for steering and Ag Leader equipment but did NOT have the radar out branch on its harness. For that tractor Kevin wired one of the hockey puck GPS speed only devices to the radar plug. This fed speed into the tractor and I had true ground speed and PerCent slip. Whether that was all that useful is debatable but I already had the hockey puck device from a planter monitor and it was easy enough to do. With this arrangement there were literally two GPS antennas on the cab roof. The Ag Leader was was centered and used for Steering and Ag Leader purposes. The other was the hockey puck and was attached off center.

Edited by tedbear 7/24/2021 06:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)