AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Approaching retiring farmer about farming or purchasing his land
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

illinois-kris
Posted 7/21/2021 23:41 (#9122669 - in reply to #9122277)
Subject: RE: Approaching retiring farmer about farming or purchasing his land

IL
In my experience if you don't already have some kind of relationship with the farmer you're pi**ing in the wind.

When my dad died the vultures swooped in with offers of helping plant just to get a toe in the door. I'm talking before the obituary was printed in the paper. A year later a few of them made unsolicited offers on cash rent noting the 1970's tractors my father never upgraded from that I was using and how much better they could do with their auto steer and row shut offs. They didn't know me at all but were sure quick with the insults on my families farming practices. The neighbors in the know already knew I was taking over and will have a chance at the ground if things change. They know I operate on the good ol boy system and cash isn't always king.

If anything happens farmers generally already have a plan in place of who is taking over what. If you don't know what those plans are, you're not a part of them.

P.s. I attended sales for 2 of the guys who tried renting my dads place, bank called in the note on some of their loans. All the rent ground the banks set them up with as estate executors went to other farmers who owed the bank large sums as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)