AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The epidemic of fake disease
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/30/2021 09:08 (#9085571 - in reply to #9085468)
Subject: RE: The epidemic of fake disease

Pittsburg, Kansas
Interesting thoughts.

I would guess the doctors are bombarded with input from drug company representatives with all sorts of encouragement and data to prescribe drugs and hospital administrators are encouraging doctors to run tests.

Like the inventor of the PCR test said, look hard enough at something you are going to find something there.

Had an interesting discussion with my doctor about a lump on the back of my neck. I had an abcess quite a while back that I eventually went to a critical care center (was away from home) to get it lanced and drained. The doctor there suggested I get a biopsy to make sure it wasn't cancer. Eventually got back home and had my local doctor look at it. Ask him about the biopsy. He said on things like this he did not really like to do biopsys. It is just an extra procedure that he did not feel in this case was necessary or would be helpful. We would watch it and if it began to grow he would just remove it in an office visit.

Now a person could argue that either doctor had good reason to say what they did. But I found it interesting that my relative young doctor is taking a different approach to health than some of the older more established doctors do. For one thing he is a private practice with no in house lab. Just a nurse and him are the whole show. He does not even draw blood, sends us to a lab for blood work. He did not even order a PSA test on my blood work or do a digital rectal exam (I presume because of the thinking along the lines of the video I posted - just leads to tests and perhaps unnecessary procedures). I think his attitude is more towards waiting till there is a problem then fix it as opposed to go looking for problems that may or may not actually be a problem.

Like I say, there are probably arguments for both styles, but I am happy with the attitude my current doctor has.

I've had a colonoscopy when I turned 50. Probably will not have another unless I develop symptoms. Wife says she is not having one. Had a friend that had her colon poked a hole in having one and spent quite a bit of time in the hospital because of it. If a person has symptoms, that is one thing. But I have decided for my personal situation and age, I'm not going looking for problems that may be benigne even if there is something there. I'll wait till I have a symptoms of a problem.

We have been sold the idea that early diagnosis is good. Maybe it is if there is an actual problem. But what of all the percieved problems that never would have manifisted themselves as a problem and end up as unneeded procedures with associated risks?

The heart doctor I went to because of chest pains (strained my solarplex doing exercise) wanted to do all sorts of tests (and put me on statins). I did one non-invasive one and said that is enough. Once a person gets on medicare, there is no end to the number of doctors and procedures that can be ordered. Being diabetic I could be seeing a half dozen doctors regularly (even a podiatrist) and I am sure they all would want me to come back at least twice a year and have lots of tests they want me to take (Eye doctor wants twice a year and two expensive tests - I put him off to once a year). I know people that it seems like they spend a significant amount of their time in doctors offices. I got other stuff I want to do besides spend time in waiting rooms. Doctors are great when a person actually needs them. Another thing I like about my current doctor. He doesn't seem to want me to come back multiple times. Says if I have a problem give him a call. A lot more like the doctors of my youth.

An interesting topic to think about, with different people having far different opinions based on their own experiences. But something I think worth pondering.

Edited by John Burns 6/30/2021 09:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)