AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2nd shift and farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Rdlfarms
Posted 6/29/2021 22:36 (#9085151 - in reply to #9080363)
Subject: RE: 2nd shift and farming

Central Iowa
Worked 2nd shift, 3:30 - 12:00, for eleven years. Wasn't bad until started working six and seven days a week. Like others said hard to get hay made. The other bad thing was even if a job was only going to take fifteen minutes to finish had to quit to get to work. Went to 3rd shift, 11:00 pm - 7:30 am, that worked better but not everyone can work those hours. Worked 3rd for 25 years by the end if I was able too get 3 hours a night of sleep I was doing good. Either shift is hard on your body, retired almost 2 years now and still am lucky if I can get more than 3-4 hours of sleep at a time. If you have a young family you can kiss any school functions good by, even if you have time off you will not have enough to farm and go to both on 2nd. I would usually save vacation for the fall harvest, I could get the planting done. It was even better when I was able too move up to a 12 row planter. Harvest I have enough storage to hold most of my crops so sitting in line at the elevator was not a big problem. If you have custom harvesting done where will the crop go, if in bins will they unload while you are at work. Spraying is also hard by the time you get up in the morning and get started the wind will be blowing, although most guys spraying anymore don't seem to be worried about that the way most guys spray when it's blowing 20 mph. Working those hours and farming can be done but you will have to be dedicated and willing to give up some things. Good luck with your decision.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)