AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Star 5
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 6/19/2021 09:05 (#9066596)
Subject: Star 5

So I been putting a Hereford bull on some Santa Gertrudis cows to get what I been calling star 5 heifers. But can you put a santagerdruis bull on a Hereford cow and get the same?

I have been pretty happy with all of the "star 5" heifers as they have been quick to breed and seem to be very productive. Infact last small group of heifers 9 out of 9 were bred 4 to 5 months at 15 months. Group before that of 15 only one wasn't bred at 15 months. And out of those 15 all had a second calf 13 months after first calf. I say that's pretty good.

Also thinking about a post from a few days ago about someone keeping a star 5 bull got me thinking. Could I just put a star 5 bull on my star 5 cows and keep producing them?

Most people probably wouldn't see benifit from not having black cows but these gert influence cows seem to do better on tough ground in south Texas. Not that a black cow doesn't do well just these seem to always stay in good condition when times get tough.

Also the star 5 heifers I took to auction last week did really well compaired to black, normal Hereford red white face and black white face. So I guess someone had an eye for them. Steers did same as black.

It will be interesting to see how they perform compaired to the black white face herd I have been building and I have also put black whiteface bulls out of my stock on star 5.

Not sure how I got to this point but I guess I am here. I guess it was black bulls going through fences that caused me to go Hereford bull. But looking back I am a long ways from where I started with black on black.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)