AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$5 Cover Crop Reduction On Crop Insurance?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 6/11/2021 08:09 (#9053018 - in reply to #9052683)
Subject: RE: $5 Cover Crop Reduction On Crop Insurance?????

NW Missouri
I can't understand why this is being paid out of a COVID bill either. But as far as why they're doing it, the gov has been pushing cover crops for quite a while now, so it looks to me like this is just a way they have found to incentivize it a little bit. You had to have had the covers planted last fall to get any benefit from this, so it's only helping the people that were already doing it. Around here a LOT of people have at least tried some cover crops here and there. 10 years ago there were none. I've been planting them for 4 or 5 years now. Mostly rye on hill ground and it doesn't seem to hurt my yields at all, but does seem to help hold the soil.

As far as getting my information, they aren't getting any more information out of me than they would have been already. I report my cover crops to FSA any time I plant them. Then if I ever get checked for compliance, I can prove what I've been doing. If they want to knock $5 off of my crop insurance premium and all I have to do is report my acres a month earlier, sign me up.

I've heard the deadline was so soon because crop insurance had to have time to get their premiums adjusted before bills went out. Not sure if that's true or not.

As far as the shares question, I think it goes with the ground. If that acre had a cover, then everyone with crop insurance on that acre gets their portion of the $5 off.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)