AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$5 Cover Crop Reduction On Crop Insurance?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 6/11/2021 06:10 (#9052778 - in reply to #9052683)
Subject: If you guys would actually be involved politically you wouldn't be shocked by this....

Southeast WI
And I'm not talking about "political involvement" senseless spewing that goes on by the geniuses over on TPP. There I got they out of my system...

To help answer your question I was as surprised as most of you to see this now and the short timeline is interesting. However as others have said there's been a small program like this for several years in Iowa and I believe a few other states? Somewhere somebody got the program started by tying it to crop insurance. Maybe someone from Iowa that was involved can add to this conversation.

Here in Wisconsin I was involved several years ago in talks with our dept of AG to roll out this exact program. State corn growers, our consultant group, lake/environmental groups, the organic farmers faction, etc have all been on board to do this. The recognition from all groups is that covers can help retain nutrients and soil on the landscape and slowly improve our waterways. It is just another idea to help incentivize farmers to try a new practice. A VOLUNTARY approach, certainly not mandatory. nothing came from these talks back then and I pretty much lost track of where we were on the state level. But believe me, this is not a new idea and just didn't come out of the blue.

Most farmers have taken large, large sums of money from the govt in the past 4 years. This is a pittance compared to that but maybe because it excludes most it's getting a lot of press?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)