AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$5 Cover Crop Reduction On Crop Insurance?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Sheep Farmer
Posted 6/11/2021 05:43 (#9052741 - in reply to #9052683)
Subject: RE: $5 Cover Crop Reduction On Crop Insurance?????

Northwest Iowa
I will be the first to admit I don’t know much about this program or have read anything about it. But I have been dealing with cover crops the last 8 years through NRCS programs. I’ve had some success, some failures, and some in between experiences. What absolutely frustrated me is when it makes no sense to seed cover crop I still had to because tied into a contract. Their were times it made some sense and other times zero sense but still had to because NRCS said so. That frustrated me because we were wasting the time of me, theirs, and everybody else involved.

This program sounds just like that. Like I said haven’t read anything about it though, maybe it’s different. In my area unless it’s silage or 2019 wet it’s gonna be hard to make work. Guys need to get off the getting an incentive kick back of this cover crop thing just to do it. People putting these programs in place have no idea the Agronomic challenges behind what their pushing. I wish I could get cover crops to work. I think theirs a real place for them but it can’t be drop dead yes do it every year. Last fall we didn’t get anything to grow (flew on with no rain). Wish we could have had better success but very tough the father north you go and rainfall is key into corn/soybean rotation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)