AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting organic NT soybeans and then roll/crimping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Frisky3208
Posted 6/10/2021 22:44 (#9052580 - in reply to #9051640)
Subject: RE: Planting organic NT soybeans and then roll/crimping

Heart of Ohio

No till is pretty common, would guess beans well over 50% in my area, corn less than that. Cover crops not so much, but a few more acres each year it seems, others have sworn off of for life. My personal experiences have overall been pretty positive for covers, plan to do more.
   I've been nearly, with few exceptions, 100% no till all crops for over 5 yrs and beans over 15.
I knew this was high risk situation, fair amount of last years rye crop on surface yet. It was well dried out when planted but had turned cooler/cloudy and damp shortly after. I know of others that have less of a slug issue this year in non cover crop fields. So we have conducive weather apparently.
     Walked this field again today and was pleasantly surprised by the corns progress. My agronomy guy had walked it 3 days ago and said if weather forecast was met (much sunnier and fairly drier) he was reasonably confident the corn would out run the slugs, today I believe him. Nearly all corn has new leaves emerged and feeding was non existent on most, was rowable even in the green rye I rolled last Sunday, feeling much better about the situation now, stand is more than adequate. Dodged a bullet, thankfully.
Now what to do with 750# of Deadline Bullet my supplier won't take back, LOL, oh well.
May I ask what the "bio control" you mention is/was for future reference?
Thanks for the response Joel, appreciate your posts and input!

Edited by Frisky3208 6/10/2021 22:57

(8AC1A032-0BCC-4533-AF5C-EA882B61542F (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 8AC1A032-0BCC-4533-AF5C-EA882B61542F (full).jpeg (160KB - 12 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)