AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are we really short of corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 6/6/2021 06:56 (#9044119 - in reply to #9043600)
Subject: RE: Are we really short of corn?

East of Broken Bow
I'm from Nebraska, and you are not seeing anything that is unusual.
If you are in an area with cattle, 'most' farmers who also run cattle, contract for May/June/July delivery of a lot of corn.
Dead of winter delivery can be sketchy if you live on secondary roads.
Early spring brings mud and load limits on the highways.
For many cattlemen, conditions go from bad roads straight into calving.
Then, from calving to fixing fence, to field work, to getting cattle out to pasture.
Last half of May through July are VERY popular delivery months. Sell on the seasonal spring price increase, but for delivery in June/July, and capture another 5-10 cents carry, since the corn is in the bin anyway.

I know quite a few people who deferred to summer delivery after the last couple springs. Icy in winter, muddy in the spring.

If you were to ask, I'd be willing to bet that the augers you saw on bins, were for delivering corn contracted a while ago.
There isn't much corn left in bins anymore, that isn't already spoken for.

Edit to add: The outdoor corn piles are disappearing locally, with the delivery of fresh corn from the farmers. If it has a crust, moisture damage, or any spoilage, they usually like to clean it up in June when the farm delivered corn comes in. They blend in any damaged corn, with fresh corn from the farmers. You REALLY know they have a lot to blend in, when your ticket says you delivered #1 corn instead of the usual #2. Someone told me once that they will grade some of the better corn as #1 because it looks better on the books if you blend #3 with #1, to get #2.

Edited by HuskerJ 6/6/2021 07:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)