AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Critique My Finishing Ration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 6/2/2021 10:24 (#9038233 - in reply to #9038061)
Subject: RE: Critique My Finishing Ration

Southern IA
Lb94 - 6/2/2021 08:30

clicker - 6/2/2021 07:54

will take forever to finish on that ration. Give them straw or only a couple lbs of that sudan hay unprocessed, and up the corn until they quit slicking the bunks, should be at 25 lbs. by 1000 lbs., replace the gluten with ddgs or a protein pellet. You have to make the ration energy dense if you want to lay on finish.

I'm glad I asked I was afraid of the opposite pushing that size of calf too hard. Going to start taking out roughage through the week this week and creeping more corn in.

I priced a while back a steakmaker pellet i believe that the coop's feed salesmen said was a good one he had some feeders on around here. I did some figuring and I think was going to cost me an extra $25/hd to use the stuff however that was figuring apples to apples in gains. From what I understand there's N in those pellets as I think they were 40% cp would the cattle gain more efficiently on those than the gluten and urea mixed in? I have a group of stocker calves I graze out on my pastures that I supplement the gluten pellets to and so far I've liked using gluten for the stockers vs. ddgs as I felt the ddgs got them fleshier on grass so that's why I was using the gluten in the fat cattle ration just since I always have a wagon full of it.

when corn is cheap, days on feed don't matter as much. $25 can probably be made up on finishing a week earlier with $7 corn. You can finish cattle a lot of different ways depending on when you want them finished and what your market is. Sometimes slower gain with cheap feed and more time fits better. Best laid plans based on costs can get wiped out when the bids fall apart because covid shows up or a hacker finally nails through a firewall at the packer and your cattle drop in value by hundreds of dollars per day. Sometimes you are best off keeping your money in your wallet and making do with whatever feeds you have on hand.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)