AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low maintenance garden
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

r82230
Posted 5/29/2021 22:31 (#9032549 - in reply to #9031817)
Subject: RE: Low maintenance garden

Thumb of Michigan
I kinda have a low maintenance garden. Hasn't been tilled in maybe 20+ years. Here's my program for a 30' x 30;' garden.

50# of triple 19 spread each spring. Wait to mow lawn until grass is high, then mow into a bagger. Dump collected lawn clippings on garden area, about 8-12" deep, covering complete garden. Usually takes several mowing's to cover most of garden area. Pull back area (the grass clippings) where I want to plant, tomatoes, peppers, cukes, broccoli, cabbage, celery, onions, etc. After planting, push clippings back up against plants.

Never weed garden all summer, plant tomatoes in same place as last year if I want. By following year grass clippings will be rotted/decomposed to less than a 1/2". Each year, spray with RU/2-4d, before repeating lawn clippings (weeds will be starting usually in some areas).

Down falls: if a dry summer, takes a lot of water to get though lawn clippings mulch. Need to be aware of ground moles pushing plants out when first planted, And seem to have to dust more often, because of slugs. But I find that (dusting once every couple of weeks) easier than hoeing. Do I have a hoe somewhere? And upside is picking cukes, all are just laying on grass, no weeds/dirt.

As far as planting, almost don't need a spade, with so much organic matter, soil is extremely mellow and full of worms (hence ground mole problem). Gave up years ago on growing corn, seems coons find it before it's ready. Strawberries have there own raise beds (3'x9', with 1/2" hardware cloth on bottom to prevent ground mole problem). Tring mulching the asparagus patch this year, too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)