AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef sales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 5/26/2021 10:39 (#9025586 - in reply to #9025571)
Subject: RE: Beef sales

Southern IA
Lb94 - 5/26/2021 10:32

I'm booked through Spring of '23 so yea those calves aren't born yet.

Of the newer locker plants it seems like everyone is going with the pretty big operations with over $1M price tag as I understand they're more efficient labor-wise. Just playing devil's advocate here, but what would be wrong with opening up a small butcher shop that could be ran by 1 guy and some part time help or the owner and a full time employee or 2? Let's say a small little 1500 sq ft building with a small walk in cooler and freezer, grinder, bandsaw, equipment etc. gets a guy in the door at $125K with processing capacity of around 200 beefs per year for just 1 guy and part time help. I mean no I can't imagine you'd be "rolling in money" but a guy could make a living at it seems like especially with processing fees around here averaging $0.90-$1.15 per lb. hanging weight on beef with no extras/options. Just a thought my #s may be a bit off but maybe somebody with more knowledge about other expenses and costs would have a better idea

Probably like going to the bank to get a loan to build a new dairy. A guy could build a 30 cow dairy and run it himself and make a living, but if he builds a 5,000 cow dairy that one man can manage 50 workers who then can reduce his production cost and make so much more money. Our business culture doesn't promote the one man entrepreneur business model to make a living, always working twice as hard for that rainbow over the next hill and worried about the whatifs of retirement and healthcare.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)