AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef noodle soup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kpaul
Posted 5/27/2021 09:34 (#9027403 - in reply to #9024293)
Subject: RE: Beef noodle soup

north central Iowa, Hampton
Couple good answers already.

You said soup so--
A) if you're as tight as I am--some sort of cut up poor cut of meat, or at a decent butcher's or meat counter: a couple pounds of "Stew Meat" and/or "Soup Bones." Drop that in a pot with half a gallon of water or more, a cut up onion, a couple stalks of celery (leaves too) 2 cloves of garlic and some pepper (1/2 to 1 teaspoon). Let that simmer slowly for a long time. (Like 4-6 hours--just barely at a boil) Cool this off and run it through a strainer or something. When cool, pick the meat out, discard the bones, soggy veggies and anything else that's not meat or soup.

Heat your soup back up. For Beef and Noodle, I guess you'd add some sort of noodles. Personally, I go for a veggie / Beef / Noodle thing, so I'd throw in some frozen peas, corn, carrots, maybe a little potato, --kinda whatever I want to use up. A favorite at our house, instead of noodles, use the instructions on the side of the Bisquick box and finish by making dumplings in the boiling soup.

B) much faster--grab something "beef" brown it--could be hamburger, cut up an old steak or roast from the freezer into bite size chunks. Make your soup stock with beef boullion and water (careful though, some of the crystals get too salty) Bring to a boil and simmer--throw in half a cut up onion, a clove or two of garlic, cut up carrots, diced celery and simmer for a while. I'd add black pepper, a bay leaf or two (whole and remove when serving) salt if needed, maybe a small amount of sage. Add your noodles near the end.

--------If you're truly learning to cook, I'd suggest getting what I call a "reference" cookbook. I started with the Fanny Farmer cookbook. It's the cooking version of a Tech Manual for a tractor. When I first started cooking, I remember looking up what "par boil" meant. This sort of book has sections about how to cook various things, and why--not just recipes. Every Thanksgiving I end up opening it up to "Cooking Turkey." I've purchased one of these for each of my kids as they moved out. It's on Amazon if you shop that way.

For a quicker
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)