AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 12/23/2009 11:33 (#981547 - in reply to #981371)
Subject: Re: No till help

Macon, IL
My personal opinion on coulters in Corn is take them off. Most in our area have moved away from them. If conditions are like the last couple years the coulters tend to bring up colder wet soil-which is the biggest problem no-tilling corn in our area.

If conditions are good or you are having a problem getting the row unit in the ground then you may have to use them-but if you have good downpressure springs and openers are sharp (that is pretty important) then I don't think you will need them.

Pretty big change from what you have been doing. There are some in your area who have been doing it for a while so there are some good resources out there. If you want to email me directly I can pass on some names you might know from your area. I don't want to post here without their permission.

No-till is something that takes a couple years to see really see the benefits. I took a pretty good hit 2nd year corn on corn (about 30 bushel)-knowing what I know now I believe 1/2 of that could have been alleviated with a little more N. Next year is going to be real interesting in our area isn't it. I think there is going to be a lot more no till tried. I also think there is going to be a lot of spring ripped and chiseled ground. We may set a new record for spring fuel usage.

Going to be a real interesting year-depending on next summer weather I expect to see yeilds all over the board. If it turns a little dry I think the no-tillers will be happy. If we get another summer like this one there may be some who will be hard to convince to try it again.

Edited by pbutler 12/23/2009 11:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)