AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a service truck...what do I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 12/9/2009 01:59 (#956721 - in reply to #956020)
Subject: The FIRST thing you need...

West Union, Illinois

SoILL - It won't be a service body with all of the toolboxes, it's a 10' by 8' flatbed on an 8100 International truck.
Make a service truck or make a flatbed.  Don't kid yourself into thinking one will work just as well as the other.  The first thing you need to do is take the flat bed off and get a service bed.

Yes, that is a bit blunt.  Are you building a service truck or a cargo truck? Because you are starting out wrong and regardless of what you add it will always be wrong.  If you want to haul stuff get a truck to haul stuff.  If you want a truck for service get a service bed.  All those toolboxes and all that storage is integral to a good service truck.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.  Look at what guys who depend on their trucks do and what they do it with.  They don't invest the time and money in a service bed just for looks. It's like the difference between a plumber and a farmer doing plumbing. The plumber has a truck he can reach into and pull out 90% of what he needs for most jobs.

You want a real service bed?  ROC at West Union, IL (Ralph's personal cell is 812/241-8579) has one removed from a  Kodiak that was made into a grain truck.  Super service bed. I'd guess 12 - 14 ft long  Comes with a PTO mounted air compressor that will cause you to pull the truck up beside the shop and run a couple hoses through the door.  I believe it also has a 110v power inverter. Put that on your 8100 and you'll have a start on a service truck.  What you are working on is a flatbed with a fuel tank.

edit:  Oh!  You asked
What am I missing besides a bunch of tools?
  PARTS and SUPPLIES  They are probably more important than the tools!

Edited by Mike SE IL 12/9/2009 02:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)