AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DeKalb 63-42
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 11/25/2009 09:13 (#937586 - in reply to #936346)
Subject: RE: DeKalb 63-42 Another plot for you with it

Kentucky

Ed Winkle - 11/24/2009 09:59 Just food for thought, my original question, hybrid placement...

This hybrid is definitely one of my fav's.  It has been my highest yielder the last two years.  That said -- I prefer the 63-46 version.  It has outperformed 42 in my rotation.  In side by sides this year this variety has had another very strong year except corn after corn where it has fallen off.  I went and looked at '08 data and saw the same.  It did well behind beans on "wet feet" swampy ground this year, but was planted late.  As for dry down, it will dry down as good or better than most anything its maturity for me.  The 63-45 version was my best refuge by far.  It didn't fall off much in yield considering that we had heavy ECB pressure this year.  My refuge corn averaged 25% infestation.  Some varieties got hammered compared to the Bt's.

Here's the knock on this hybrid --

1.  Diplodia - as has been mentioned which gives another good reason to keep it off corn on corn acres.

2.  Tended to butt shell worse this year -- but still beat everything else.

3.  This is the biggest one for our area ------  can be hurt by early season drought and may drop ears prematurely.

4.  Not always a "pretty" hybrid, but it sure can put it in the bin.

Until I can find something consisently better, I guess it will stay my #1 for better soils.  It will cover the most acres for me in 2010.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)