AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I love wraped hay!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/19/2021 16:16 (#8960959 - in reply to #8960499)
Subject: RE: I love wraped hay!

Driftless SW Wisconsin

timjohn - 4/19/2021 11:31 Jim when baling at about 40%... how long has the hay been on the ground? I am looking forward to wrapping bales this year for the first time. My day job limits my availability to have time during the day to bale... so i end up baling in late afternoons or early evenings.... accept on a Sat or Sun when I am typically off of work. wrapping would shorten the window and allow me to bale into the evening a little bit and save hay quality I believe. thank you for sharing Tim

I'm in western Wisconsin hills with a mix of grass and legumes. First crop last year was heavy. I mowed, raked one day, baled and wrapped the next. That came out about 60% due to bottom of windrows being wet.  Second crop I tried mowing one day, raking, baling and wrapping the second day. That came out about 40% and is the hay in the pic above.

This year I am going to mow then wait until the bottom of the moco windrow is not dripping wet before raking baling and wrapping. That may be one or two days depending on the crop and weather as Supa mentioned above.

The windrow could sit as raked but I'm finding one of the keys to quality is to bale it, gather and wrap the bales all in one day, even at 30 or 40%.

Just my limited experience but hope it helps.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)