AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cat 3126B major oil consumption
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Deere6
Posted 1/8/2021 21:22 (#8735218)
Subject: Cat 3126B major oil consumption

SE IL
This motor in an FL80 is using about 1 gal of oil every 100-150 miles. Blowby isn't bad and no oil dripping from it. Turbo appears to be fine. No external leaks that would amount to much. Holds about 30qts of oil which I believe is the correct amount for this engine with the bigger oil pan (dont think its being overfilled). Engine oil sample came back good, no fuel in it. I did remove the injectors and replaced the o-rings, sent off the injectors to be tested and they checked out (Scheids). Engine starts and runs pretty good overall, seems too good to have a ring/piston problem, but I'm not an expert on that. Valve seals have been replaced. Would a crack in the head allow this much oil use? With all the injector problems on HEUI fuel systems should I just replace the injectors anyway before really tearing into it? I realize this is a sleeveless motor, which kind of makes it a throw away, but Cat rebuilds them I believe. If it does need tore down is it worth just putting rings/pistons in it and running it? It gets about 5k miles a year or less as a farm truck. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Edit to add: oil is not going through the compressor, way too clean at the pop off for that.

Edited by Deere6 1/8/2021 21:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)