AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hard Red Spring Wheat In Oklahoma With Pictures And A Question For You Guys in Hard Red Spring Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buehler
Posted 6/19/2020 22:28 (#8324602 - in reply to #8324386)
Subject: RE: Hard Red Spring Wheat In Oklahoma With Pictures And A Question For You Guys in Hard Red Spring W

Scott City KS
JD105404T - 6/19/2020 19:54

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the Information. They say when you plant Spring Wheat in Oklahoma you need to plant it in mid to late February and to plant it at 2 bushel an acre since it will not have enough time to make enough tillers, I thought I had the Grain Drill set right but I don't think I did and I only planted 60 pounds an acre. When we plant our Hard Red Winter Wheat I usually set our airseeder for 60 pounds an acre. I have been thinking about setting it for 70 to 75 pounds an acre this next year. On one place I would like to plant it with the airseeder then coming back with our box drills and planting another 60 pounds to see if that would increase the yield any. I did talk to our Elevator manager today and I guess that mill did not want to mess with just one truckload of that Hard Red Spring Wheat, they wanted more than just one load, but he said they will still try to do something with it.

Thank you,
JD105404T

They should be able to get it moved. I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

I planted some barley this year thinking it, planted into moisture would outrun winter wheat dropped into dry dirt. It is pretty awful. I really think it would have outrun the wheat if we had any moisture at all after I planted it. But it is a more condensed time window and that amplified the drought. Don’t get me wrong, our wheat is trash too but I think it will do better than the barley.

I’m guessing spring wheat and spring barley are similar.

I run more N on my wheat than that. Especially if it isn’t summer fallow. In my part of the world N won’t get away so I try not to short any of it. On my wheat I get to 100 lb between soil test and applied.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)