AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bicarbonates and idc
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 7/24/2009 08:18 (#786288 - in reply to #786245)
Subject: Re: bicarbonates and idc

Aberdeen MS
It's been realized that what has normally in the past described as IDC, might in fact not be.

In the areas/zones that have shown "yellow stunted beans" in past history and conventional tillage practices, the wheel tracks from the tillage passes have usually been "greener". The question has always been asked "why?".

U of Mn has done some studies on foliar applications etc etc. Where the concept came from to try an oat cover crop I don't know.

The practice is one that has shown to date to eliminate some/much of the yellowing/tire track compaction visuals that has been seen. Those particular areas are usually synonymous with higher pH areas. A phenomenon quite common in So Mn. I can't comment on other areas of soybean growing.

I have noticed on my own fields, since I started strip tilling, affected areas of yellowing beans have been reduced in size. My thought (and is similar to several agronomists I've talked with) is in beans following corn, the increase of residue has done some wicking of surface moisture (reduced effect offered by the oats cover crop) and utilizing some of the excess N for residue breakdown (reduced effect of oats consuming N in early growth). This is on soils in the 6 - 8% OM range with pH in the upper 7 and lower 8 range.

A search of the U of Mn extension site should provide the preliminary research done to date.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)