AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody went back to full tillage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 2/24/2019 08:25 (#7340640 - in reply to #7339108)
Subject: RE: Anybody went back to full tillage?

Southeast WI
No, not a chance would I go back to tillage. We use it on our veggies but that’s it. Commodity crops do not benefit from tillage as long as you have average drainage and where we are imperfectly drained strip till does the trick.

As you’ve read on this thread there are always a bunch that prefer to call it a cult, religion, whatever. Notill is just a tool, but you have to understand how to use it in a new system of farming vs tillage. You also read here that guys know what time of the year to till or not, when to use the proper tillage tools for the conditions, etc. All the tillage guys are experts at tillage but scoff when guys give advice on how to properly implement a notill system because it don’t work in their mind.

It is all about learning and adapting. Those that won’t think and learn won’t adapt.

Find adapters to talk to. Likely won’t be your neighbor or anyone within an hour. Attend notill and cover crop conferences and pick brains there. All of us are willing to share experiences when asked. As Blake Vince said at the WI Cover Crop Conf, “how many of you are like me and are seen as the village idiot in you community?” I notill because it works. I have never cared what people think. I pay my bills, they do not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)