AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thunderstorm pictures on the North Dakota prairie
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 7/3/2018 09:18 (#6847977 - in reply to #6847473)
Subject: RE: Thunderstorm pictures on the North Dakota prairie

nw NC
Good pictures. I like to watch cumulonimbus clouds build into thunderstorms. How far distant are the clouds in your pictures? A few years ago on a summer Saturday afternoon a strong cold front passed through here and brought strong thunderstorms. Following the frontal passage, the air was much cooler and drier as it was a cool Canadian air mass that had entered the area. On Sunday afternoon we went to Pilot Mountain State Park which has a mountain that rises 1400 feet above the surrounding land . From the mountain top , in clear air one can see high peaks of the Blue ridge and Appalachian mountains over 100 miles distant. On that day I viewed off to the southeast and could see a bank of white clouds on the horizon. It was the thunderstorm cloud tops of the front that had passed the previous day. I was curious as to where the cloud bank was located at that moment so upon returning home I looked at weather radar for points southeast of me. The storms were about 20 miles out to sea beyond Wilmington ,NC. Measuring the distance on Google maps showed the cloud bank was approximately 230 straight line distance miles from here. Amazing to see cloud tops that far away with naked eye.
A few pictures below that I made of t-storms. First one measured on google maps at 75 miles distant.

Edited by WJKEIGER 7/3/2018 09:22

(001 (Medium) (full).JPG)

(014 (Medium) (full).JPG)

(IMG_0024 (Medium) (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 001 (Medium) (full).JPG (130KB - 26 downloads)
Attachments 014 (Medium) (full).JPG (59KB - 30 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0024 (Medium) (full).JPG (82KB - 23 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)