AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Car Project (part 2)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Funacres Daughter
Posted 6/9/2018 14:42 (#6802715)
Subject: My Car Project (part 2)

Texas

You may recall a little over a month ago I posted about purchasing a car on an online auction and then finding out that it was a roller without a title. If you need a refresher here is a link to that post: My New Project

We had some good news with the project. In Texas, it is possible to obtain a title for a vehicle purchased without one. Of course, it is also an involved and time sensitive process. In order to avoid paying a penalty, we had to get the paperwork filed within 30 days of purchase, and in order to obtain the paperwork we needed we had to haul it in for a VIN inspection. In order to meet the requirements for getting a VIN inspection, the vehicle had to have a body, frame, engine and transmission. Also, VIN inspections are only done 1 day per month, thankfully we had not missed that day.

So, finding an engine and transmission was the next challenge. We finally located an engine and transmission out of a 1957 Pontiac Chieftain that would turn over and it was affordably priced. The downside, it was located in Michigan. We decided to buy it anyway. Dad asked me to meet him in Iowa and then drive together to pick up the engine. You may recall that week in April when much of the North was getting hit with a winter storm; well, the weekend that was hitting is the weekend I left beautiful weather in Texas with the wildflowers in full bloom to drive into the frigid north. Additionally, in Texas, April is a great time to think about getting your backyard pool is shape, not packing a coat. So, you should have seen the sorry little jacket I took with me…so stupid.

We were happy with the engine and transmission, and after getting them home Dad asked a friend of his to help him get the engine and transmission in Chieftain (a requirement for the VIN inspection). Thankfully, it passed the VIN inspection and we were then able to use that paperwork to apply for a title bond. The insurance agent was able to process the policy quickly which enabled us to get our paperwork filed with less than 48 hours to spare. I am happy to report that about 3 weeks later, I received my bonded title. (It will be converted to a regular title after 3 years.)

In addition to obtaining a title we have also made good progress with dismantling Chieftain. I have learned that I am very talented with rounding screws (I didn’t say it was a desirable talent). Dad and I have also gone to a few classic car salvage yards and we believe that we have sourced most of the parts that we were missing. At one salvage yard here in Texas, we also found a 1955 Pontiac Chieftain engine and transmission. Dad recommended purchasing that one in case we wanted to put a ’55 in the ’55 Chieftain instead of the ’57. Wish we had found that engine before we went to Michigan.

Photo 1: The beautiful Texas wildflowers and weather I left to go get the engine.
Photo 2: The mid-April weather where the engine was.
Photo 3: The 1957 Pontiac Chieftain engine.

(fullsizeoutput_c09 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_2608 (full).JPG)

(IMG_0809 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fullsizeoutput_c09 (full).jpeg (90KB - 315 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2608 (full).JPG (110KB - 337 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0809 (full).jpeg (112KB - 313 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)