AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil test sample-jdplowboy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 1/23/2018 14:18 (#6525907 - in reply to #6525425)
Subject: RE: soil test sample-jdplowboy

King City, Mo
ideally jdplowboy and i and other albrecht/kinsey style followers like to see 10-12%Mg base sat on your soil

sulfate sulfur is what you need...

ams 21-0-0-24s would be an option at 100-150# going to soybeans or 300# going corn - only trouble is coops have a distain for carrying it and inflate their margin on it.

gypsum which some claim is a magical product is nothing more then calcium sulfate....

easy way to determine if you need to apply gypsum....

if Ca is above 65% but below 75% or so and mg is above 12% apply gypsum.

Take 3 high lighters of different colors

Mark the ones below 65% ca with pink - apply high ca lime to them

Mark the ones between 65-75% ca with yellow

Mark the Mg levels above 12% with blue

If it's blue and yellow then apply gypsum,

if only blue and ca is unmarked you need sulfate sulfur and no gypsum

Some want to apply gypsum to everything but i'm not a fan of extra high calcium levels.

Any of your zones that fit the above 65% to up to 75% ca i would apply 1000# or so gypsum if you can get it bought worth the money. It's gonna take more then one year and one app to get your mg levels down.

So applying gypsum to 1/2 this field and not the other half then saying it doesn't work come fall doesn't give it enough time and it's gonna take multiple applications of sulfate sulfur to get the mg down as we need rain and drainage as well.

That's a very very cliff noted version of how all that works and guys could talk for hrs about it but that's the meat and tator's simple answer.

Edited by lawfarms 1/23/2018 14:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)