AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeder futures price
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LKM
Posted 12/18/2017 10:41 (#6437044 - in reply to #6435050)
Subject: RE: Feeder futures price

Ridgway, IL
Im curious about back grounding cattle on slats... My thoughts wander to stocking density. If you are back grounding, are you buying started calves? Or are you buying unweaned cattle? And what density are you stocking them?

In my system, we are currently receiving cattle into pens allowing from 55-70 sq ft per head. These are unweaned calves. My concern with stocking them tighter than that would be that it would amplify issues of social stress... we have observed instances of that when overcrowding pens. It leads to more frequent retreats, and health expenses.

Now as soon as the calves have 3-5 wks on them, we feel like we can stock them at around 40sq ft give or take a few. But to get the cattle where they're ready to stock in the 20s like it seems most people run on slats i would think we're going to need close to 60 days on them and maybe more? Idk

As nice as that slatted floor barn is that you have, and as much as those things cost i would want it jammed full all the time.

What is your corn basis up there now?

I understand your financial discussion with your acct about reduction in revenue from having cattle on feed longer... given your location (cheaper corn basis, good byproduct availability, great proximity to packers) i would think it might make more sense to tackle the problem from another angle... could you make more frequent turns, placing bigger cattle? and running at a high % of capacity all the time? I feel like you are in a honey hole of a location for finishing, Keep bigger cattle and be on the hunt for feed with value.

Edited by LKM 12/18/2017 10:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)