AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brahman Bull on Angus Heifers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

830rnvk
Posted 12/17/2017 11:21 (#6434884 - in reply to #6434522)
Subject: RE: Brahman Bull on Angus Heifers?

South TX
From the standpoint of calving out a first calf heifer, I wouldn’t use a Brahman sire. I did similar to what you’re thinking of doing, had a herd of angus cross cows and wanted to put some leather back into making female replacements.

Within this herd of cows I had a handful of heifers that bred to a Brahman bull. Fast forward to calving time, the calf birth weights were an average of 75 lbs (which I wouldn’t think to be too heavy) but I had issues with calving the heifers. Seemed like the calves weren’t heavy, but real leggy and had some frame size which probaby created the issue. This was the only Brahman I had, I didn’t have another to compare to and this might not be a fair representation of the breed as a whole, but I won’t be using a Brahman bull on heifers again.

If you have Brangus (5/8 Angus 3/8 Brahman) on the mind, I don’t think a low BW Brangus bull would be wrong, or Angus either. A guy I know buys Jersey or Corriente bulls for heifers. To me the important thing with first calf heifers is to raise that first calf...then in the following years have a real “powerhouse” bull or whatever bull that fits the long term goal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)