AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Surge Brakes -vs- Electric Brakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

afx_guy
Posted 3/10/2009 12:35 (#638644 - in reply to #636923)
Subject: Re: Surge Brakes -vs- Electric Brakes

outside looking for more corn cobs
I've never liked the surge brakes. The whole principle of usingthe difference in deceleration rates (forces) between truck & trailer just doesn't appeal to me.
I do know that they suck to back up even a slight incline, and it's worse the heavier the trailer is.
Then we had a rental trailer with surge brakes freeze. All 4 wheels locked up solid. The technician came out and backed the brakes off completely. We didn't know it until them but the brakes had been dragging for days while we were using it. It pulled so much smoother and easier. The braking was longer without having the surge brakes, but it was actually easier because it was predictable.

Electric brakes are pretty simple to me. On the trailer you have some wires, an electromagnet, brake shoes, and a drum. The surge brakes also have shoes & drums, so the difference is do you like hydraulics and linkage mechanisms to run them, or a few wires and a magnet?
The electric brakes using the controller are usually adjustable when they apply, and how much the trailer braking force is increased as you press the pedal, making them fairly easy to tune in to your liking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)