AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New nitrogen management guide from Nielsen & Camberato at Purdue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 3/21/2017 17:04 (#5914007 - in reply to #5913731)
Subject: Husker, here's some thoughts before you slam years of trials

Southeast WI
Well a first basic first step when we run on-farm trials - which many of these are, is to pick a proper site. We look at soil tests, topography and the field history. When running N tests like this here in WI we didn't want manure on for at least 3 years for example. The sites I used in our testing were without manure for 20+ years. We took preplant N tests in some years to see if we had background N (very little if any so we stopped unless the prior year was droughty for example). The idea here is to be reasonably sure N will be the limiting factor. Also be aware that any good on-farm trials are replicated 3 or better yet 4 times. The use of statistics will help you decide if N caused the yield differences or if they were just by chance (due to other unforseen variables).

It appears to me that you've never taken on scientific study with the way you just hammered on 10 years of research.

So the fair question is how would you go about answering questions like what is the eonr or aonr? Or any variable for that matter?

Years ago when I was on the school board we had what would be described as a bitch session by the teachers when we asked for input. So after a few of these we decided if you have a brain to point out all the problems, you surely have a brain to come up with a better way to fix things. Pointing out problems is easy. Fixing them takes some talent.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)