AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plow Day Video - Aerial View
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 12/9/2016 20:02 (#5687502 - in reply to #5686273)
Subject: RE: Plow Day Video - Aerial View

Chebanse, IL.....

Yup...isn't that something? We used to do a lot of custom plowing. Probably got $4-5/A as I recall. This would've been in late '60s, early-mid '70s.

Now here we are paying to enter, providing our equipment & gas....to plow for someone.

But, you'd better not ever get in the way of any of us....you'll get run over as we're trying to head to the field!

The money always goes to a fundraiser of some type, usually FFA chapters or school programs of sorts. In this case, they're attempting to defray costs of a small school to send their high school class to Washington DC. It's just fun being out there with 5, or 50 other tractors. Sometimes it can be aggravating at the start plugging the old non-clearance plows until things dry out later in the day. At this plow day @ Lahogue, some guys showed up w/5 btm plows but had to go back home & get the 4 btm.

We're normally out there for 4-6 hrs & lunch is provided. Weather is always nice & food is always good. Also, if you've looked at the photos & videos, you'll see lots of "seasoned" instructors with a young man or young lady in the drivers seat teaching them what it was like  & helping them learn a little about machinery & dirt & how they sometimes get along & sometimes don't.

35 yrs ago when we quit plowing, I never dreamed in my life I'd be back on these plows & enjoying it. And, what's more gratifying to me is seeing my son Kurt take to this in a big way & be able to enjoy what we considered work. We have quite a close-knit group of plowers in our area that attend these plow days. We keep each other posted on when/where the next event will be held. Our good friend Larry (OL2150 on NAT) is another "plow addict" in our group & makes it enjoyable by helping with other's tractors or equipment when they need help. Actually, we all help each other participate in these plow events.

It's fun....not an organized contest, just fun.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)